Dorut-Tillavat complex with Shamsiddin Kulol Mausoleum / Manzara Tourism - Various Tours in Uzbekistan, Central Asia and along the Great Silk Road
0
Uzbekistan local time  

Dorut-Tillavat complex with Shamsiddin Kulol Mausoleum

Shakhrisabz

Dorut-Tillavat complex with Shamsiddin Kulol Mausoleum

To the south-west of Dorus-Saodat ensemble, upon elevated part of Shakhrisabz, which was the nucleus of urban area of ancient Kesh, there stands the architectural complex of Dorut-Tillavat. It started to develop beyond the ancient Barlas clan’s  mazar,  where Temur’s father – Emir Taraghay was buried after his death in 1361. The ensemble consists of Shamsiddin Kulol Mausoleum, Gumbazi-Seyeedon  Mausoleum and Kok-Gumbaz cathedral mosque. All the constructions in Dorut-Tillavat ensemble are joined together by a spacious yard elongated north to south.

Dorut-Tillavat ensemble started to be built up in 1370 after the death of a prominent religious figure of that time – sufi Shamsiddin Kulol. During his life he was considered an indisputable authority in the issues of theology; he was an examplar of modest way of life and earned his living by making being a potter – kulol. Sheikh Shamsiddin was a spiritual tutor of Emir Taraghay and Temur himself who paid high tribute to the scholarship of the sheikh and considered his counsels. His disciple, Bahauddin Naqshbandi, became the founder of Naqshbandia Sufi Order. The grave of Shamsiddin Kulol immediately became the place of worship.

By Temur’s order the tomb of the great sheikh was faced with black marble slabs and on the foundation of an ancient mosque there was erected a domed mausoleum inside of which the remains of Emir Taraghay were transferred in 1373.

Dorut-Tillavat madrassah was built on to the north of the mausoleum. In this madrassah students were taught theology and the Qur’an and offered up prayers of commemoration. In the later period the complex was named Dorut-Tillavat.

During the reign of sokhibkiron’s grandson, Mirza Ulugbek, there was built a domed mausoleum above the tomb of Shamsiddin Kulol. The archeological research revealed double walls of the mausoleum which confirms the evidence in some historical documents about the mausoleum of Shamsiddin Kulol being built on the foundation of a structure of the 10th-12th centuries. 

The portal of the mausoleum is decorated with mosaic tiles. An age-old carved wooden door leads inside the mausoleum.  The ceiling of gurhona (grave chamber) was supported by two carved pillars. Almost in the centre of this chamber there stands a modest sagana (gravestone) of the sheikh.

For about seven centuries citizens of Shakhrisabz have revered the memory of their prominent compatriot. Pilgrims from all over the world come to his mazar. But few of them know that in our time, in Shakhrisabz there live the family of hereditary ceramists – the Muzaffarovs, whom local people consider to be the descendants of Saint Shamsiddin Kulol.

Sightseeing Places in Shakhrisabz

Ak-Saray Palace Dorus Saodat memorial complex. Jahangir’s mausoleum.
Dorut-Tillaval complex with Shamsiddin Kulol Mausoleum Kok-Gumbaz Mosque
Khazrat-Imam Mausoleum Gumbazi-Seyeedon Mausoleum
Chorsu covered market