Christian churches tour of Uzbekistan | Uzbekistan Religious Tour
0
Uzbekistan local time  

Christian churches tour of Uzbekistan

Tashkent – Urgench – Khiva – Samarkand – Bukhara – Tashkent

8 days / 7 nights


During this special Christian tour you will have the unique opportunity to visit significant sites of Christianity on the territory of Uzbekistan. The construction of churches and cathedrals for the needs of Polish, Russian, German, Lithuanian and Armenian settlers began in the late 19th century and early 20th century. Today, Christian churches of different denominations - Roman Catholic, Russian Orthodox, Lutheran, and others are all registered with the State and are actively involved in their pastoral activity. These historic churches and cathedrals along with the new ones have helped the followers of Christian faith to be close to their spiritual roots, cultural and religious traditions, create new friendships and find new followers on the hospitable Uzbek land.




Day 1. Tashkent.

Arrival in Tashkent international airport.
Meet and greet. Transfer to the hotel.
Accommodation. Welcome dinner.
Overnight in Tashkent.


Day 2. Таshkent.

Breakfast.
Sightseeing tour in Tashkent.
Sacred Heart Parish Church of Tashkent - the largest Catholic Church in Central Asia (1912-1917-1993).
Here, too, you can enjoy organ concert and unique singing performed by gifted musician Uliana Krukovskaya (organ) and possessor of a wonderful voice Inna Kamariyan (soprano).
The only Evangelical – Lutheran Church in Central Asia was designed by famous Russian architect A. Benua and was contracted between 1895-1899.
Svyato-Uspenskiy Cathedral, whose original building was constructed in 1871 on the territory of military hospital, is dedicated to St. Pomteleymon. During 1945 -1950 the church was enlarged under the direction of archbishop Ermogen and became Svyato Uspensky Cathedral of Tashkent.
St. Alexander Nevsky Cathedral was built in 1905 on the territory of city's Christian cemetery by Russian engineer F. Smirnov. The Botkin cemetery is the last resting place of the old orthodox clergy of Uzbekistan and of many prominent persons.
Visit Polish cultural center "Zarzewie".
After lunch proceed with sightseeing of Alisher Navoi Theatre and Square, the residence of Nikolay Konstantinovich Romanov, first cousin of Tsar Nicolas II; Independence square, and the Museum of Applied Art, as well as Museum of Arts.
Celebration of the Mass in the Sacred Heart Parish Church of Tashkent at 18:00.
Dinner and overnight in Tashkent.


Day 3. Tashkent – Urgench (Khiva).

Early breakfast.
Transfer to the airport to take flight to Urgench.
Upon arrival in Urgench visit new Parish Church of Blessed Mary, Mother of Mercy.
Participation in the Sunday Mass at 10:00.
Visit the street where Anna German was born on 14 February 1936. Meet the Urgench Jazz duetand other members of Anna German fan clubthat performs Anna German's songs.
Transfer to Khiva (30 km).Upon arrival accommodation in the hotel.
Sightseeing tour in Khiva including Kalta Minor Minaret, Konya Ark – the Old Citadel, Tash-Khauli palace complex, Caravanserai and trading domes of Allakulikhan, local bazaar, workshop of local craftsmen and Taza bag – the summer residence of Asfandiarkhan.
This evening you will have the unique possibility to attend the concert of Jazz duet from Urgench whose repertory includes masterpieces of Andrea Bocelli, Louis Armstrong, etc.
Dinner and overnight in Khiva.

Day 4. Khiva – Bukhara.

After breakfast transfer to Bukhara (470 km).
Arrival in Bukhara in the late afternoon. Accommodation in the hotel.
Evening panoramic sightseeing tour in the historical part of the city.
Dinner and overnight in Bukhara.


Day 5. Bukhara.

Breakfast.
Sightseeing tour in Bukhara: Mausoleum of Samanid Dynasty (9th c.), Holy Spring of biblical Job, local bazaar, Ark Citadel, Trading domes (16th c.), Lyaby-Khauz Ensemble (16th c.)
After lunch visit Summer Residence of Bukhara’s last Emir, then proceed with sightseeing of the churches: the Church of Archangel Michael representing a converted building of the railway station dating back to 1904; the new St. Andrew the Apostle Church, registered with the state in 2002 but constructed in 2005. Nowadays the church is able to accommodate 150 people.
Participation in the Mass that will be held at 18:00.
Dinner and overnight in Bukhara.


Day 6. Bukhara – Samarkand.

After breakfast transfer to Samarkand.
En route visit Holy Spring of biblical Job in Vabkent district.
It is said that the Old Testament patriarch Job travelled through Central Asia on his way founding miraculously healing springs.
Arrival in Samarkand and accommodation in the hotel.
After lunch sightseeing tour in Samarkand.
Visit Registan Square, then proceed with sightseeing tour of churches:
Church of Intercession of the Virgin which was constructed in 1902 according to the project designed by the Russian engineer I. Lebedev;
St. Georgiy the Victorious Temple, constructed in 1882 according to the project designed by the Russian architect from Samarkand, Vladimir Lepke;
St Alexey Cathedral dedicated to the Saint Alexis (Metropolitan of all Russia). Its project was designed by the architect from St-Petersburg F. Smirnov in 1905;
Armenian Church of Saint Astvatsatsyn (St. Mary), the only Armenian Church in Central Asia constructed in 1903 with funds contributed by local Armenian community.
Visit Armenian cultural centre "Luyis" established in 2010.
At 17:00 special excursion will be held at the Catholic Parish Church of St. John the Baptist erected under the direction of famous engineer E. Nelle. The church project layout and interior decoration are identical with the project of Evangelical – Lutheran Church of Tashkent.
The Mass will be held at 17:30.
Dinner and overnight in Samarkand.


Day 7. Samarkand – Tashkent.

Breakfast.
Sightseeing tour in Samarkand.
Visit the mausoleum of Prophet Daniel whose holy relics, as people believe, were brought from Mesopotamia to Samarkand by Amir Temur to raise the spiritual significance of his capital; Ulugbek Observatory (15th c), Samarkand's silk paper producing workshop and old watermill in famous bread bakers' quarter, local handicraft center and colorful Siab Bazaar.
After lunch transfer by coach or by "Registan" express train to Tashkent.
Arrival in Tashkent.
Farwell dinner with folklore show.
Overnight in Tashkent.


Day 8. Таshkent.

After early breakfast transfer to the airport to take flight home.

Suggested accommodation in:
Type A Type B
Tashkent – International Нotel Tashkent 5*
Samarkand – Registan Plaza 4*
Bukhara – Grand Bukhara 4*
Khiva – Asia Khiva 3*
Тashkent – Uzbekistan 4*
Samarkand – Regal Palace 4*
Bukhara – Asia Bukhara 4*
Khiva – Malika Khiva 3*


SERVICES INCLUDED IN TOUR PRICE: SERVICES NOT INCLUDED IN TOUR PRICE:
  • Accommodation based on TWN rooms
  • Meals – according to the itinerary
  • Entrance fees for Sightseeing spots mentioned.
  • Overland transportation by AC coach
  • All airport-hotel-airport transfers
  • Escort guide for the whole tour (Multiligual guides: English, German, French, Spanish, Italian, Japanese, Chinese-Mandarin, etc)
  • All sightseeing as specified in the itinerary
  • Farewell dinner in Tashkent.
  • Visa support to Uzbekistan
  • Portage services in airports and hotels
  • 1 bottle of mineral water per day per pax
  • International airfares
  • Domestic air fare Tashkent - Urgench (subject to be changed)
  • Camera and Video charges during the sightseeing
  • Personal expenses
  • Medical insurance


Payment: 100 % prepayment should be made not less than 3 days before the group's arrival.

Cancellation fees:
Cancellation prior 30 days – no penalty is charged
Cancellation prior 29-15 days – 50 % penalty is charged
Cancellation prior 14 days – 100 % penalty is charged

Sightseeing spots that will be visited during the excursions:

Tashkent:
Sacred Heart Roman – Catholic Parish Church – The construction of the largest Catholic Church in Central Asia started in 1912 but stopped in 1917. In 1925 the chapel in the unfinished Sacred Heart Church was closed. In 1993 the construction was resumed and in 2000 the church was dedicated. The masses in the Sacred Heart Church are celebrated in English, Russian and Korean every day except Monday. The church houses a large pipe organ. In 2002 Sacred Heart Church of Tashkent celebrated the 100th anniversary of Roman Catholisicism in Central Asia.
Svyato-Uspenskiy Russian Orthodox Cathedral – Original building of the Cathedral was constructed in 1871 on the territory of military hospital and its cemetery and was dedicated to St. Pomteleymon. During 1945 to 1950 the church was expanded and reconstructed under the direction of archbishop Ermogen and became Svyato Uspensky Cathedral of Tashkent.
St. Alexander Nevsky Cathedral – The Cathedral was built in 1905 on the territory of Tashkent city Christian cemetery (present-day Botkin cemetery) by Russian engineer F. Smirnov. From 1920 the Cathedral was closed and was returned to the Russian Orthodox Church only after the World War II in 1945. The Botkin cemetery is the last resting place of the old orthodox clergy of Uzbekistan and of many prominent persons.
Evangelical – Lutheran Church – The construction of the Church according to the project that was designed by the famous Russian architect A. Benua started in 1895 and was completed in 1899. In December of 1996 the Evangelical – Lutheran community of Uzbekistan celebrated 100th anniversary of the only Lutheran Kirha in Central Asia.
Palace of Grand Duke Nikolay Konstantinovich Romanov – Nikolay Konstantinovich Romanov was first cousin of Tsar Nicolas II. The construction of his palace in Tashkent took 1 year from 1889 to 1890 and was designed by two famous Russian architects A. Benua and V. Geyzelman.
Museum of Applied Art – was created on the basis of the temporary exposition of local handicrafts held in 1937. From 1938 the museum is permanently housed in the palace of Russian diplomat and art history expert A. Polovzev. Constructed in the late 19th century the palace was adorned with traditional wood carving and panting, fine plaster carving.
Independence square – is the largest square of its kind in Central Asia.
Alisher Navoi Theatre and Square (1936-1947).

Urgench:
New Parish Church of Blessed Mary, Mother of Mercy was registered with the state in 2001. In 2005 Polish Conventional Franciscan priest, Father Stanislav Rochowiak was assigned to the church. The New Church is a converted and reconstructed two- storey building.

Khiva:
Kalta Minor - "Short Minaret" (19th c.)
Konya Ark – the Old Citadel (19th c.).
Tash-Khauli palace complex (19th c.).
Caravanserai and trading domes of Allakulikhan (19th c.).
Taza bag - Summer residence of Asfandiarkhan (19th c.).

Bukhara:
New St. Andrew the Apostle Roman - Catholic Church was registered with the state in 2002. In 2005 Polish Conventional Franciscan priest, Father Wojciech Kordas was assigned to the church and the same year started the construction of the building. Nowadays the church is able to accommodate 150 people.
Church of Archangel Michael was registered with the state in 1998. The church is a converted building of the railway station dating back to 1904.
Holy Spring of biblical Job – It is said that the Old Testament patriarch Job traveled here founding on his way miraculously healing springs. On the territory of Uzbekistan there are three Holy Springs of biblical Job and two of them are located in Bukhara region. The most popular of them is the spring located in Bukhara town.
Sitorai-Mokhi-Khosa (1911) - country residence of the last emir of Bukhara, situated in 4 km north of Bukhara. In its architecture and decoration the Palace combines European and traditional Bukhara architectural styles.
Ismail Samani mausoleum was built at the beginning of the 10th century and belongs to the great cultural resurgence of the Samanid dynasty. The mausoleum presents one of the best specimens of brick decoration.
Ark Citadel- constructed on the artificial mount this fortress is as old as Bukhara itself.
Trading domes (16th c.) - a trading city par excellence has always been famous for its domed bazaars which have helped to preserve the medieval atmosphere of the town.
Lyaby-Khauz Ensemble (16th c.) - formed around a wonderful pool is one of the delightful places of Bukhara.

Samarkand:
Catholic parish church of St. John the Baptist (1916) – In 1915 the catholic community of Samarkand finally obtained the authorization for the construction of the church. One year after the church was erected under the direction of famous engineer E. Nelle. The project of the Church was identical in plan and interior decoration with the project of Evangelical – Lutheran Church of Tashkent designed by Russian architect A. Benua. In 1995 Catholic parish church of St. John the Baptist was registered with the state and in 1999 it was dedicated.
Church of the Protection of the Virgin (1905) – The Church was constructed in 1902 according to the project designed by the Russian engineer I. Lebedev.
St. Georgiy the Victorious Church (1882) - The Church was constructed in 1882 within 10 months according to the project designed by the Russian architect from Samarkand Vladimir Lepk.
St Alexis Cathedral (1912) – Constructed in 1912 the Cathedral was dedicated to the Saint Alexis (Metropolitan of all Russia). The project was designed by the architect from St. Petersburg F. Smirnov in 1905. In 1996 St Alexei Cathedral was returned to the Russian Orthodox Church.
Armenian Church of Saint Astvatsatsyn (Virgin Mary). The only Armenian Church in Central Asia was constructed in 1903 with the funds contributed by local Armenian community. From 1933 the church was closed. In 2005 the Armenian Church of St. Astvatsatsyn was returned to the Armenian Church and was newly dedicated. Armenian cultural centre “Luyis” under the Armenian Church of St. Astvatsatsyn was established in 2010.
Prophet Daniel Mausoleum – The holy shrine of Prophet Daniel is a place of worship for followers of Christianity, Islam and Judaism. It is said that the holy relics of Prophet Daniel were brought from Mesopotamia to Samarkand by Amir Temur to raise the spiritual significance of his capital. The original mausoleum has been reconstructed several times. In the 19th century the present day mausoleum with 6 domes was erected.
Registan Square – Adorned with three magnificent madrassahs: Ulugbek Madrassah (15th century), Shir Dor and Tillya-Kari Madrassahs (17th century) is an almost musical collection of monuments, each one conducting its own symphony of the city's history.
Ulugbek Observatory (15th c) - a unique construction where Ulugbek, the grandson of Temur, used to spend much of his time observing the starry sky and compiling his surprisingly accurate astronomical tables.
Afrasiab museum – The museum is located on the territory of the archeological site of ancient Samarkand, and narrates the history and culture of Samarkand through rich collection of archeological finds. Among these the most outstanding is the wall painting dating back to the 7th century.
Samarkand's silk paper producing workshop.
Old watermill (19th).

Related Links: Uzbekistan tours | Uzbekistan hotels | Uzbekistan visa

Book this tour:

Title:
First name:
Surname:
E-mail*:
Country:
Citizenship:
Arrival date (mm/dd/yyyy):
Departure date (mm/dd/yyyy):
Number of Travellers:
Visa support:    
Guides:
Additional requests:
Antispam image: